Dare to Dream Stable's Nicole's Dream, piloted by Robby Albarado, resisted Tangier Sound in a prolonged stretch battle to win the $117,700 Mamzelle Stakes for older fillies and mares Thursday at Churchill Downs.
Nicole's Dream, a 4-year-old daughter of Northern Trend bred in Florida, appeared momentarily to lose the lead in the final sixteenth but responded gamely to re-rally and nose out a stubborn Tangier Sound in the final strides. Longshot Big Score was a close third, only another neck back, with Repository fourth.
Any for Love, the 8-5 favorite in the field of nine female sprinters, was fifth under jockey Alex Solis.
Nicole's Dream, trained by Larry Rivelli, ran the five furlongs over firm turf in :56 2/5 and paid $6.40, $4.60 and $4.20 as second choice in the wagering. The victory was the 12th in 24 starts for the bay filly. She earned $72,974 to increase her career bankroll to $261,917. Tangier Sound returned $6.20 and $5. Big Score's show was $6. The exacta was worth $38.Dyna Wa Wyna and Lady Sabrina scratched.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Chasing Landaluce
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points