Salford City becomes one of the leading contenders to division favorite One Cool Cat, the Aidan O'Brien-trained colt in whom Tabor has half interest. Tabor bought Salford City earlier this year.
The veteran conditioner Elsworth has never won a British Classic.
"He is a horse who needs every yard of seven furlongs but he settles well, switches off and quickens," Elsworth said. "Today he fell out of the stalls, he was last and came through the middle of the field and he learned a lot. On hindsight I'm glad he did go though them because this is a horse that lacks racing experience."
The final time on the straight over good going was 1:26.97. Fokine edged So Will I by a shoulder for second. American-bred Fort Dignity was fourth in the field of 10.In other group action at Newbury Saturday, Jaber Abdullah's English-bred Majestic Desert won the Dubai Duty Free Fred Darling Stakes (Eng-III) for 3-year-old fillies with Kieren Fallon in the irons. The Mick Channon-trained daughter of Fraam defeated Nyramba by a length.The Dubai Irish Village John Porter Stakes (Eng-III) went to Maktoum Al Maktoum's Dubai Success, who edged Gamut by a shoulder in the 1 1/2-mile test for older horses. The British-bred 4-year-old son of Sadler's Wells, trained by Richard Hills and ridden by Michael Hills, formerly raced for Godolphin.
Most Popular Stories
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses