Salford City becomes one of the leading contenders to division favorite One Cool Cat, the Aidan O'Brien-trained colt in whom Tabor has half interest. Tabor bought Salford City earlier this year.
The veteran conditioner Elsworth has never won a British Classic.
"He is a horse who needs every yard of seven furlongs but he settles well, switches off and quickens," Elsworth said. "Today he fell out of the stalls, he was last and came through the middle of the field and he learned a lot. On hindsight I'm glad he did go though them because this is a horse that lacks racing experience."
The final time on the straight over good going was 1:26.97. Fokine edged So Will I by a shoulder for second. American-bred Fort Dignity was fourth in the field of 10.In other group action at Newbury Saturday, Jaber Abdullah's English-bred Majestic Desert won the Dubai Duty Free Fred Darling Stakes (Eng-III) for 3-year-old fillies with Kieren Fallon in the irons. The Mick Channon-trained daughter of Fraam defeated Nyramba by a length.The Dubai Irish Village John Porter Stakes (Eng-III) went to Maktoum Al Maktoum's Dubai Success, who edged Gamut by a shoulder in the 1 1/2-mile test for older horses. The British-bred 4-year-old son of Sadler's Wells, trained by Richard Hills and ridden by Michael Hills, formerly raced for Godolphin.
Most Popular Stories
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run
- Bringing Precision to Track Maintenance
- String King to Try Dirt at Fair Grounds
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- Kentucky Steps Toward Medication Uniformity