Bruce Lunsford's Madcap Escapade and Buckram Oak Farm's Last Song, two candidates for the $500,000-added Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) April 30, worked out over the Churchill Downs surface on Thursday. Madcap Escapade and Last Song each worked a half-mile, with the former zipping over the track in :46 and the latter breezing in :49 1/5. The work by the Frank Brothers-trained Madcap Escapade, who was ridden by apprentice rider Pedro Velez, was the fastest of 63 moves at the distance. Her time over a "fast" track was a full second faster than any other workout at the four-furlong distance. It was her second straight "bullet" drill since she arrived at Churchill Downs in late March. "She went nice," Brothers said. "She is doing well and I am pleased with her."
Madcap Escapade is unbeaten in four starts, which includes a half-length victory in Keeneland's Ashland Stakes (gr. I) in her most recent outing. The daughter of Hennessy has won those races by a combined margin of 27 lengths. The Carl Nafzger-trained Last Song, third to Madcap Escapade in the Ashland last time out, won Gulfstream Park's Bonnie Miss (gr. II) in March. The daughter of Unbridled's Song has won three of eight races with career earnings of $238,330.
Most Popular Stories
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win