Snapshot of Kentucky Derby Entries
Updated: Thursday, April 29, 2004 6:21 AM
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2004 2:37 PM
By Dick DowneyTheDowneyProfile.com
Listed in order of graded stakes earnings.1. The Cliff's Edge
--Won Toyota Blue Grass Stakes; third, Florida Derby. Shane Sellers retains the mount; fast work at CD on Monday, 4-19; follow-up work Monday, 4-26. Nick Zito trains. Dosage profile: 12-6-12-0-0 (30); dosage index: 4.00.2. Action This Day
--Was said to have sore back; got chiropractic; worked a bullet at CD Thurday morning; Mandella said he came out of work fine, and he will be entered. GotWednesday workouts. breezed three in :35 1/5, 4 of 18 at Churchill Downs.
breezed four in :49 2/5, 21 of 32 at Churchill Downs. blowout Wednesday. David Flores rides. Dosage profile: 5-4-21-2-0 (32); dosage index: 1.56.
3. Friends Lake--Won Florida Derby; training up to race; arrived at Churchill Downs Wednesday; worked Sunday; Richard Migliore will ride. Dosage profile: 6-4-10-0-0 (20); dosage index: 3.00.
4. Smarty Jones--Won Arkansas Derby and is six for six. Will get first Lasix; went to CD Thursday; galloped at CD Friday; fired a :58 work Saturday. Stewart Elliott on board. Dosage profile: 10-3-8-1-0 (22); dosage index: 3.40.
5. Tapit--Won Wood Memorial and is three for four; Dominguez retains mount; worked nice five on Tapeta Farm turf Wednesday; worked on dirt there Monday; will ship to CD Wednesday. Dosage profile: 9-3-12-2-2 (28); dosage index: 1.80.
6. Castledale (Ire)--Worked :59 3/5 on 4-14, 1:12 on 4-24; arrived in Louisville on Monday. Co-owned by TVG analyst Frank Lyons. Jose Valdivia, Jr. will be aboard. Dosage profile: 7-4-25-0-0 (36); dosage index: 1.88.
7. Limehouse--Third in Blue Grass; won Tampa Bay Derby. Jose Santos, aboard in the Blue Grass, was off the mount; now back on after a heart-to-heart. He's now at Churchill Downs; worked Sunday. Dosage profile: 12-1-9-0-0 (22); dosage index: 3.89.
8. Lion Heart--Second in Blue Grass and San Rafael. Plan has been to remain at Keeneland and Lasix-free. Mike Smith rides. Fast work at Keeneland on Tuesday, 4-20; speedy work at CD Monday. Dosage profile: 6-2-8-0-0 (16); dosage index: 3.00.
9. Read the Footnotes--Fourth in Florida Derby; been training up to race at Palm Meadows; shipped to CD Friday; worked Monday. Bailey jumped ship; Robby Albarado jumped on. Dosage profile: 8-2-12-0-2 (24); dosage index: 2.00.
10. Wimbledon--Fifth in Santa Anita Derby; won Louisiana Derby; jockey switch to Jerry Bailey; Baffert said he liked CD work; but now if any more defections occur, Eddington could get in and Bailey could jump to that one. Worked :59 Sunday. Dosage profile: 5-3-4-0-0 (12); dosage index: 5.00.
11. Pollard's Vision--Won Illinois Derby; third in Louisiana Derby; John Velazquez has the mount; is at Churchill Downs; worked Sunday. Dosage Profile: 12-2-14-2-0 (30); dosage index: 2.33.
12. Imperialism--Second in Santa Anita Derby; won San Rafael; Victor Espinoza off him and on Borrego; Kent Desormeaux picks up the mount; worked very slowly Thursday before the rain set in; slow work not a complete aberration; had two-furlong blowout Wednesday . Dosage Profile: 3-4-7-0-0 (14); dosage index: 3.00.
13. Minister Eric.--Won allowance at Keeneland on 4-14; Alex Solis defecting to remain on Master David; Pat Day on board. Worked Tuesday. Dosage profile: 9-2-7-0-0 (18); dosage index: 4.14.
14. Birdstone--Scratched from Blue Grass; fifth in Lane's End; colt keeps working out; worked :58 2/5 Saturday. Edgar Prado to ride him. Dosage profile: 3-4-9-0-2 (18); dosage index: 1.77.
15. Borrego--Second in Arkansas Derby and Louisiana Derby and Sham Stakes; Victor Espinoza stays on; at CD; worked Sunday. Lots of backside talk about him. Dosage profile: 6-4-15-5-0 (30); dosage index: 1.40.
16. Quinton’s Gold Rush--Went after earnings and punched Derby ticket with Coolmore Lexington win under Jerry Bailey; Derby would be third start in four weeks; Bailey jumped to Wimbledon; Corey Nakatani on board; worked five in 1:01 2/5 Monday. Dosage Profile: 11-4-11-0-0 (26); dosage index: 3.73.
17. St Averil--He's definite now; sixth in Santa Anita Derby; wearing egg bar shoes to protect feet; worked well Saturday at Santa Anita; arrived in Louisville Monday. Dosage profile: 6-3-11-2-2 (24); dosage index: 1.53.
18. Master David--Second in Wood Memorial; Alex Solis stays on him, off of Minister Eric; worked per trainer instruction twice at CD. Dosage profile: 8-1-14-5-0 (28); dosage index: 1.33.
19. Song Of The Sword.Third in Coolmore Lexington helped chances to get in. Derby would be third start in four weeks. But all of a sudden owner Ernie Paragallo said he's less than 50% to go, but turns out that was a strategy to get "The Rock" to scratch from the Derby Trial. Shipped from Keeneland Tuesday; worked at CD Wednesday. Dosage Profile: 2-6-9-1-2 (20); dosage index: 1.67.
20. Pro Prado--Looks like he's in; third in Arkansas Derby; set to work Thursday; worked last Thursday morning at CD; another one set Thursday . Dosage Profile: 6-6-14-4-0 (30); dosage index: 1.73.
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!