A California-bred colt by Memo, McCann's Mojave has won five of six starts with earnings of $236,460. The Potrero Grande was his first stakes win in open company. He won the Sensational Star against state breds on turf in February.
Unfurl the Flag, who tied Spectacular Bid's 24-year-old track record for seven furlongs in his previous start, finished second and returned $3.80 and $2.40. Tyler Baze rode the runner-up at 114 pounds.
It was 1 ¾-lengths back to Bluesthestandard, the 4-5 betting favorite ridden by Mike Smith at 118 pounds, and a $2.20 show payoff.
"This horse had to run hard the whole way and he had him ready to run," Valdivia said of Dorfman. "I was on the lead (when the spill occurred) and I heard hollering but I didn't see anything. My horse got in front and he's game, he'll put any horse away."It was the second straight poor performance for Bluesthestandard, last year's Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) runner-up who was seventh in the San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita March 7."I don't know what it is, he just doesn't seem to want to go on," jockey Mike Smith said.Casas Caballo was racing just behind the top three midway on the turn when the Kentucky-bred 4-year-old son of Boston Harbor broke down, unseating Pedroza. Mike Mitchell trained Casas Caballo, a winner of three seven lifetime starts and $93,800 for owner Michael House.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts