A California-bred colt by Memo, McCann's Mojave has won five of six starts with earnings of $236,460. The Potrero Grande was his first stakes win in open company. He won the Sensational Star against state breds on turf in February.
Unfurl the Flag, who tied Spectacular Bid's 24-year-old track record for seven furlongs in his previous start, finished second and returned $3.80 and $2.40. Tyler Baze rode the runner-up at 114 pounds.
It was 1 ¾-lengths back to Bluesthestandard, the 4-5 betting favorite ridden by Mike Smith at 118 pounds, and a $2.20 show payoff.
"This horse had to run hard the whole way and he had him ready to run," Valdivia said of Dorfman. "I was on the lead (when the spill occurred) and I heard hollering but I didn't see anything. My horse got in front and he's game, he'll put any horse away."It was the second straight poor performance for Bluesthestandard, last year's Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) runner-up who was seventh in the San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita March 7."I don't know what it is, he just doesn't seem to want to go on," jockey Mike Smith said.Casas Caballo was racing just behind the top three midway on the turn when the Kentucky-bred 4-year-old son of Boston Harbor broke down, unseating Pedroza. Mike Mitchell trained Casas Caballo, a winner of three seven lifetime starts and $93,800 for owner Michael House.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap