Ocean Silk, who finished second in the Feb. 28 Very One Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream Park last time out, has been installed as the 3-1 morning line favorite for Sunday's $200,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares at Gulfstream.
Ocean Silk was group 1-placed in England before shipping to North America for owner Robert Sangster and trainer Pat Byrne. The 4-year-old daughter of Dynaformer finished second in her U.S. debut to Spice Island in the 1 1/2-mile Rood and Riddle Dowager Stakes at Keeneland in October. Spice Island is also entered in the 1 1/2-mile Orchid.
Ocean Silk was given the winter off before returning to finish second to Binya in the 1 3/8-mile Very One.
Spice Island followed up her Rood and Riddle score with a win in the Long Island Handicap (gr. IIT) at Aqueduct. The 5-year-old daughter of Tabasco Cat has not started since the La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. IIT) at Calder in December in a race she did not finish after clipping heels and falling.
The field in post position order for the Orchid:
1. Boana, B. Blanc, 114, 6-1
2. Gal O Gal, C.P. DeCarlo, 114, 20-1
3. Spice Island, J.C. Ferrer, 119, 4-1
4. San Dare, C. Velasquez, 113, 12-1
5. Savedbythelight, J.A. Velez, 114, 12-1
6. Moscow Burning, E. Ramsammy, 115, 8-1
7. Meridiana, E. Prado, 114, 6-1
8. Miss Hellie, J. Santos, 113, 10-1
9. Lost Appeal, E. Coa, 113, 5-1
10. Ocean Silk, P. Day, 115, 3-1