Ticker Tape, a British import from the barn of James Cassidy, chased down heavy favorite Mambo Slew to win the $75,800 China Doll Stakes, a turf mile for for 3-year-old fillies Thursday at Santa Anita Park.
Ticker Tape had run second to Mambo Slew in her first two American starts, most recently in the Jan. 4 Blue Norther Stakes. But she got her revenge on Thursday.
Mambo Slew, ridden by Mike Smith, stalked early pacesetter Fortunately in the race's early stages and looked to be pulling away at the top of the stretch. But Ticker Tape and jockey Kent Desormeaux, who had been running third, came charging on the outside and won by three-quarters of a length in 1:36 1/5. Ticker Tape carried 115 pounds and paid $12, $4.60 and $2.80 as part of a betting interest with Bettys Tribute for owner Jim Ford, Inc. or Pearson or Sweeney. Mambo Slew returned $3 and $2.60. Amorama, ridden by Gary Stevens, showed for $3.20. It was the third victory in ten lifetime starts for Ticker Tape. She earned $45,480, bumping her lifetime total to $169,061.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Tattersalls Ends Year With Soaring Figures