Santa Anita stewards suspended 33-year-old Nakatani after he was involved in a bumping incident on March 6 in which his mount, Mister Cosmi, banged with Terrifying, ridden by Javier Santiago, at the half-mile pole of the one-mile grass race sending Santiago to the turf. Santiago was shaken but uninjured in the spill.
In addition to the 30 days, which were scheduled to run from March 18 through April 28, Nakatani was denied the privilege of riding in designated races during the length of the suspension. Nakatani originally requested a stay from the California Horse Racing Board, which denied it.
"I will be vindicated," Nakatani said. "Now I know what happened. My horse bowed a tendon and that's why he veered out."
Most Popular Stories
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Judy the Beauty Splendid in Las Flores Score
- Expectations High for OBS 2-Year-Old Sale
- Darley Sire Lonhro Enters Australian Hall
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Golden Gate Fields Adds Alcatraz Stakes
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%