Santa Anita stewards suspended 33-year-old Nakatani after he was involved in a bumping incident on March 6 in which his mount, Mister Cosmi, banged with Terrifying, ridden by Javier Santiago, at the half-mile pole of the one-mile grass race sending Santiago to the turf. Santiago was shaken but uninjured in the spill.
In addition to the 30 days, which were scheduled to run from March 18 through April 28, Nakatani was denied the privilege of riding in designated races during the length of the suspension. Nakatani originally requested a stay from the California Horse Racing Board, which denied it.
"I will be vindicated," Nakatani said. "Now I know what happened. My horse bowed a tendon and that's why he veered out."
Most Popular Stories
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Bringing Precision to Track Maintenance
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run
- String King to Try Dirt at Fair Grounds
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- Kentucky Steps Toward Medication Uniformity