Ten New Races Highlight Breeders' Cup Stakes Program
Updated: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 2:28 PM
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 1:24 PM
The 2004 Breeders' Cup Stakes program will feature 113 races and will distribute $7.2 million in Breeders' Cup Funds - an increase of $800,000 over last year - to existing stakes races across the United States and Canada. Ten new races will receive Breeders' Cup enhancements for the first time.
Breeders' Cup Ltd. and the 40 participating racetracks fund the Breeders' Cup Stakes program. Combined with racetrack and racing association allocations, total purses for the 2004 series will be in excess of $21 million. Last year, the program was allocated $6.4 million in Breeders' Cup Funds to 103 races.
There are 72 American graded stakes and six Canadian graded events in the 2004 Breeders' Cup Stakes program.
The 10 new series races include:
- $150,000 John B. Campbell Breeders' Cup ($75,000 BC Funds) run Feb. 14 at Laurel Park;
- $100,000 Berkeley Breeders' Cup Handicap ($25,000 BC Funds) on March 27 at Golden Gate Fields;
- $150,000 Dogwood Breeders' Cup Stakes, gr. III ($50,000 BC Funds) at Churchill Downs on May 30;
- $100,000 Seabiscuit Breeders' Cup Handicap ($25,000 BC Funds) at Bay Meadows on May 31;
- $150,000 Aristides Breeders' Cup Stakes Cup Stakes, gr. III ($50,000 BC Funds) at Churchill Downs on June 19;
- $400,000 Swaps Breeders' Cup Stakes, gr. II ($100,000 BC Funds) at Hollywood Park on July 10;
- $200,000 Monmouth Breeders' Cup Oaks, gr. II ($100,000 BC Funds) on Aug. 15 at Monmouth Park;
- $200,000 Pat O'Brien Breeders' Cup Handicap, gr. II ($50,000 BC Funds) at Del Mar on Aug. 15;
- $150,000 Arlington Breeders' Cup Oaks (formerly the Singapore Plate), gr. III, ($50,000 BC Funds) on Aug. 21 at Arlington Park
- $200,000 Arlington-Washington Breeders' Cup Futurity, gr. III, ($50,000 BC Funds) at Arlington Park on Sept. 19.
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!