Personality in New YorkPersonality wasn't much of a force his 3-year-old season in Florida during the winter of 1970. The same was true when he returned to New York that March.In his two stakes outings in the Sunshine State, Personality ran fourth in both the Everglades and Flamingo Stakes at Hialeah. His first two starts in New York at Aqueduct were more of the same: Fourth in both the March 21 Bay Shore Stakes and April 4 Gotham Stakes.But then came an impressive closing effort in a seven-furlong allowance race April 11. Trailing by 11 lengths, he got up to win by five lengths. A week later, he proved himself a strong Kentucky Derby contender by winning the Wood Memorial Stakes over the previous year's champion 2-year-old male, Silent Screen.In the Run for the Roses, Personality was coupled with stablemate High Echelon, and it was the latter finishing third to winner Dust Commander and Personality eighth. The stablemates were at it again in the Preakness, and this time Personality got there first, with High Echelon fourth.Personality next won the Jersey Derby, but missed the Belmont Stakes, which High Echelon won.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce