Jockey David Flores expects significant improvement from Action This Day when he rides the champion 2-year-old colt of 2003 in Sunday's $250,000 San Felipe Stakes at 1 1/16 miles.
Action This Day was beaten by a length after closing from well back in the 1 1/8-mile Sham Stakes on Feb. 8 in his 3-year-old debut.
"I've worked him several times (since the Sham) and he looks pretty good," Flores said. "I think he'll benefit from that. It was his first race back and he got tired. He hung a little bit but he still made a good run. The pace was very slow but he needed the race."
Flores was not bothered about pace for the San Felipe.
"It doesn't matter," he said. "As long as he runs his race, he should be all right."
Probable for the San Felipe: Action This Day, David Flores; Cheiron, Victor Espinoza; Harvard Avenue, no rider; Last Minute Detail, Corey Nakatani; Odds On, Alex Solis; Preachinatthebar, Javier Santiago; Rushin' to Heaven, no rider; St Averil, Tyler Baze; and Toasted, Gary Stevens.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Euphrosyne Elevated to Honeybee Victory