Jockey David Flores expects significant improvement from Action This Day when he rides the champion 2-year-old colt of 2003 in Sunday's $250,000 San Felipe Stakes at 1 1/16 miles.
Action This Day was beaten by a length after closing from well back in the 1 1/8-mile Sham Stakes on Feb. 8 in his 3-year-old debut.
"I've worked him several times (since the Sham) and he looks pretty good," Flores said. "I think he'll benefit from that. It was his first race back and he got tired. He hung a little bit but he still made a good run. The pace was very slow but he needed the race."
Flores was not bothered about pace for the San Felipe.
"It doesn't matter," he said. "As long as he runs his race, he should be all right."
Probable for the San Felipe: Action This Day, David Flores; Cheiron, Victor Espinoza; Harvard Avenue, no rider; Last Minute Detail, Corey Nakatani; Odds On, Alex Solis; Preachinatthebar, Javier Santiago; Rushin' to Heaven, no rider; St Averil, Tyler Baze; and Toasted, Gary Stevens.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Digging Deeper into BC Lasix Study
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award
- Ramsey Farm 2013 - Ken Ramsey Interview
- Rice Plots Spots for Palace; Gravesend Next
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better