In their official ruling Thursday, the three-member panel of stewards said Nakatani violated California Horse Racing Board Rule No. 1885, which addresses rough riding and wanton acts resulting in a racing accident. On Wednesday, Nakatani appeared before the stewards with Calabria for nearly 90 minutes. Santiago was also in attendance, along with jockeys Tyler Baze, Mike Smith and Alex Bisono, who rode in the race, as well as Jockeys' Guild official Darrell Haire and Santa Anita jockey representative Luis Jauregui.
Nakatani testified that he was in tight quarters and yelled for room. He said that the first contact came when he tried to get his mount out of traffic. Santiago said, through an interpreter, that Nakatani shouted at him and that he knew he was upset at the initial contact because of the look he saw on Nakatani's face.
Soon after the initial bumping, Mister Cosmi veered out sharply and slammed hard with Terrifying, causing him to stumble and drop Santiago.
Nakatani, 33, immediately filed an appeal for a stay of the stewards' decision with the CHRB, which was denied. TNakatani is no stranger to rough riding controversy. In August, 1997, he was found to have pushed then-apprentice jockey Ryan Barber off a horse as the two galloped out together after the finish of a race at Del Mar. Nakatani was forced to undergo aggression control therapy and was suspended for more than 30 days.
Barber, who was sidelined for more than 30 days with neck and shoulder injuries, sued Nakatai for assault, battery and emotional distress. The suit was eventually settled out of court for undisclosed terms.
Most Popular Stories
- Constitution to Make Stakes Debut in FL Derby
- Jockey Club 2014 Fact Book Posted Online
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- That Handicapping Show: Rebel Stakes
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- LTBA Announces 2013 Champions
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury