The gelded son of Nureyev -- Ring Beaune, by Bering finished eighth in the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) and has spent the past four months getting some R&R at a nearby farm.
"He pulled a muscle in the Breeders' Cup," Canani said. "He had a terrible trip. David Flores had to check, check, check. It was bad.
"It's nice to have him back, though. He's been back for about a week. He'll talk walk for now and then go back to the track in about two weeks. I really haven't picked out any spots for him yet, but we're going to focus on the Eddie Read (gr. IT) at Del Mar."
Special Ring peaked at Del Mar last summer, winning the Eddie Read and setting the nine-furlong course record of 1:42.87, as well as the one-mile Wickerr Handicap in a track record time of 1:32.72. He also placed second in the American Handicap (gr. IIT) and Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT). He began his career in France where he won the Prix Saint-Patrick and Prix Altipan and also finished third in the Prix Daphnis (gr. IIIT). Overall he's banked $675,023 from a record of 25-9-4-3.
Most Popular Stories
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Test in Hong Kong
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Wagering Up More Than 4% in November
- House Subcommittee to Discuss Internet Gaming
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Second Quarantined Barn at Parx Cleared
- Horizontal Navigation: Breeding Tab
- Thomason Elected to Horse Council Board