Sunday Silence at Santa AnitaSunday Silence, whose 2-year-old season included a close runner-up effort to the high-priced Houston, won his 3-year-old debut. Sunday Silence's juvenile season consisted of only three West Coast starts in the fall. After being beaten a neck in his first outing, Sunday Silence scored by 10 lengths, then fell victim to Houston in early December. A $2.9-million sale yearling, Houston caught Sunday Silence near the wire to win by a head.Trainer Charles Whittingham, who was part owner, gave Sunday Silence the rest of December off, as well as January and February, and had him ready for an allowance race March 2 at Santa Anita. Sunday Silence set the pace in the 6 1/2-furlong race and won by 4 1/2 lengths under Patrick Valenzuela.Sunday Silence didn't let up. He won the San Felipe Handicap (gr. II) and Santa Anita Derby (gr. I, by 11 lengths) before beating heavy favorite Easy Goer in both the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness (gr. I). He went down to defeat to Easy Goer in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
Click here to read more about this Thoroughbred Legend in Sunday Silence -- available now from ExclusivelyEquine.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale