Sunday Silence at Santa AnitaSunday Silence, whose 2-year-old season included a close runner-up effort to the high-priced Houston, won his 3-year-old debut. Sunday Silence's juvenile season consisted of only three West Coast starts in the fall. After being beaten a neck in his first outing, Sunday Silence scored by 10 lengths, then fell victim to Houston in early December. A $2.9-million sale yearling, Houston caught Sunday Silence near the wire to win by a head.Trainer Charles Whittingham, who was part owner, gave Sunday Silence the rest of December off, as well as January and February, and had him ready for an allowance race March 2 at Santa Anita. Sunday Silence set the pace in the 6 1/2-furlong race and won by 4 1/2 lengths under Patrick Valenzuela.Sunday Silence didn't let up. He won the San Felipe Handicap (gr. II) and Santa Anita Derby (gr. I, by 11 lengths) before beating heavy favorite Easy Goer in both the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness (gr. I). He went down to defeat to Easy Goer in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
Click here to read more about this Thoroughbred Legend in Sunday Silence -- available now from ExclusivelyEquine.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo