The carryover is among the largest in track history and the biggest since a two-day carryover of $732,097 last April 5. An additional $2.2 million was bet into the pool the following day, April 6, and track officials are expecting at least that much to be wagered into the pool on Wednesday.Longshots dominated action again Sunday, leading to the third straight carryover.Phaedra got things rolling in the fourth race – first leg of the Pick Six -- with a four-length victory at 6-1 odds. Four Checker, 30-1 on the morning line, rallied from far back and scored at 7-1 odds in the fifth race. First-time starter Cat Carson continued the trend with a ¾-length victory at 17-1 in the sixth, followed by the lone favorite to win in the sequence, Gems Of Wisdom, who prevailed by a head at even money in the seventh.
In the featured $111,350 La Habra Stakes, Very Vegas led gate to wire under Mick Ruis at 16-1, and in the ninth and final race Fabulous West rallied to victory at 8-1 odds.Sunday's gross Pick Six pool was $2,202,737 including a two-day carryover of $413,313.The all-time Santa Anita record is a five-day carryover of $1,830,146 set on Jan. 23, 1991.
Most Popular Stories
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014