Encosta de Lago heads the roster at Victorian farm Blue Gum, owned by former international golfer Graham Campbell and his manager, son Phillip.Alinghi's dam, Oceanfast, is one of eight winners from the Shirley Heights mare Affluent and inspired the yachting theme for the filly's syndicate of owners. They were formed by Rob and Corinna Slade, purchasers of the mare from Blue Gum for $80,000 at last year's Melbourne premier sale. She has earned $811,000 in three unbeaten starts.The Oakleigh Plate fell to Geiger Counter mare Reactive. The 5 year-old provided shuttlers (and former shuttlers) with just their sixth individual group I winner in 27 such races this season. Reactive held off another mare, Ancient Song (by Canny lad) to win by a neck, with 9 year-old Suit a game third three-quarters of a length back.Geiger Counter shuttled for five seasons from 1992 after the Mr. Prospector son was purchased out of Canada by Coolmore. Arrowfield bought him as part of the Danehill deal and he died of cancer at Chatswood Stud, Victoria, in September 2000.Lonhro, a black son of Octagonal, cruised home 1 1/4 lengths ahead of Sound Action at the end of the 1,800 meters in 1:50.98.
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay