Out of My Way, dismissed at odds of 28-1, outfought Cat Genius to win the $75,000 Taylor's Special Handicap Sunday by a nose at Fair Grounds.Ridden by Gerard Melancon, Out of My Way tracked pacesetter Cat Genius, who flashed his usual speed through a sharp half-mile in :44 3/5. At the top of the stretch, Captain Thunder, who was also prominent throughout, took the first shot at the pacesetter, gaining a narrow advantage.Out of My Way, a 7-year-old Illinois-bred, under timely handling by Melancon, moved out and commenced a wide rally. The three contenders hooked up down the lane. Out of My Way gained the momentum, taking over inside the sixteenth pole, but Cat Genius fought back gamely on the rail, as Captain Thunder began to flatten out.The son of Jolie's Halo held off Cat Genius to post a nose advantage on the wire, finishing six furlongs in 1:09 2/5."He's the kind of horse that has to be in the race," said Melancon. "He's had trouble breaking (in his last few races) and some bad luck."
Out of My Way's luck changed Sunday, as he improved his earnings to $414,241 with his ninth win in 30 lifetime starts.Trainer Greg Geier, who trains Out of My Way for Crown's Way Farm, took the blinkers off of the bay gelding for the Taylor's Special.
Out of My Way returned $58.40, $17 and $8.20.
Aloha Bold caught the fading Captain Thunder to finish third, a length behind Cat Genius. Mountain General, the 13-10 favorite who was making his first start in six months, was never a factor and finished seventh.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- 'Night of the Stars' to Benefit CKRH
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays