Laura and Eugene Melnyk's Host, Horse of the Year in Chile last season and second in his U.S. debut at Gulfstream Park earlier this month, preps for a start in Dubai on March 27 in Monday's $46,000 Gulfstream allowance feature at 1 1/8 mile on the turf.
The 4-year-old Chilean-bred son of Hussonet is still a 3-year-old by Southern Hemisphere standards. He will not turn 4 until July 1, and thus is eligible for the $2 million UAE Derby at nine furlongs on the dirt.
Trainer Todd Pletcher has named John Velazquez to ride the colt, who compiled an impressive record on turf and dirt in his native land last year. He won five of six starts, including the 2,000 Guineas (Chi-I) on the main track.Breaking from post 5 Monday, Host is the 8-5 morning line choice in a field of eight.
In his American debut, Host finished second to Del Mar Show at one mile on grass, with multiple grade I winner With Anticipation third.
Most Popular Stories
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Partners to Build Racetrack Casino in Calgary
- Bad Debt, Philly Ace Tropical Turf Topweights
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Immortal Verse Sells for European Record
- Steep Wagering Decline at Churchill Fall Meet
- No Legislative Action on Illinois ADW Bill