Laura and Eugene Melnyk's Host, Horse of the Year in Chile last season and second in his U.S. debut at Gulfstream Park earlier this month, preps for a start in Dubai on March 27 in Monday's $46,000 Gulfstream allowance feature at 1 1/8 mile on the turf.
The 4-year-old Chilean-bred son of Hussonet is still a 3-year-old by Southern Hemisphere standards. He will not turn 4 until July 1, and thus is eligible for the $2 million UAE Derby at nine furlongs on the dirt.
Trainer Todd Pletcher has named John Velazquez to ride the colt, who compiled an impressive record on turf and dirt in his native land last year. He won five of six starts, including the 2,000 Guineas (Chi-I) on the main track.Breaking from post 5 Monday, Host is the 8-5 morning line choice in a field of eight.
In his American debut, Host finished second to Del Mar Show at one mile on grass, with multiple grade I winner With Anticipation third.
Most Popular Stories
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Charles Town to Make Donation to CANTER
- Mine That Bird Movie Premieres March 19
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana