Mario Pino and the chestnut mare Undercover overwhelmed a small band of four rival Maryland-bred fillies and mares in Saturday's $75,000 Maryland Racing Media Handicap at Laurel Park. After wresting command down the backside and sleepwalking through the first half mile in 50.48, the even-money favorite Undercover spurted away to win by 1 1/2 lengths over a determined Friel's For Real. Database finished third. The winner's time was 1:52.91 for the nine furlongs and she paid $4. The Tony Dutrow trainee has been in the money 12 times in 15 career starts with earnings of $271,410. This is the third straight year that the daughter of Allen's Prospect has an added money score, having won the Maryland Million Oaks in 2002 and Gal Lil Stakes 11 months ago.Undercover paid $4, $2.80 and $2.10. Friel's for Real returned $3.20 and $2.10. Database's show was $2.10.
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Online Stallion Season Auction Set for Iowa
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet
- Minimum Stakes Purse to Increase at Aqueduct