With rain forecast over much of the next few days, Mandella accelerated the work schedules of Pleasantly Perfect and male 2-year-old colt champion Action This Day, working both Friday. Pleasantly Perfect, who worked seven furlongs Monday in 1:25.40 under Alex Solis, worked six furlongs Friday with Solis aboard in company with Middleweight. Each was clocked in 1:17. Pleasantly Perfect is working toward the $1-million Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) on March 6.Action This Day, ridden by Crystal Brown, worked four furlongs in company with Waki Indy. Each was timed in :50.60. Action This Day worked three furlongs Tuesday in :36.80."I only worked him three days later because I'm trying to beat the rain," Mandella said. "That's why today's work was so slow, because he just worked three days ago. I'm working back early because I don't want to be stuck in the rain. It's supposed to rain the next five days or so. This was to get us by and we'll have a serious workout next time." San Pasqual Handicap winner Star Cross worked five furlongs in 1:00.80. "He went fine, very easy," said trainer Darrell Vienna. Probable for the Santa Anita Handicap: Buddy Gil, Domestic Dispute, Olmodavor, Pleasantly Perfect, Royal Place, Saint Buddy, Sarava, Southern Image, Star Cross and Toccet.
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Online Stallion Season Auction Set for Iowa
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Minimum Stakes Purse to Increase at Aqueduct
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet