Lion Heart, who hasn't raced since winning the Dec. 20 Hollywood Futurity (gr. I) at Hollywood Park, went five furlongs in an easy 1:01 1/5 with regular exercise rider Jean Claude in the irons. The chestnut son of Tale of the Cat--Satin Sunrise, by Mr. Leader is set to make his sophomore debut in the March. 6 San Rafael Stakes (gr. II).
Pomeroy, a bay son of Boundary and the Seeking the Gold mare Questress who won the Sept. 13 Kentucky Cup Juvenile (gr. III) but was disqualified and placed third for causing interference, breezed a half-mile in :48 4/5. It was the colt's first work of the year and his first since undergoing surgery in mid-October to remove a bone chip from his right front ankle.
"I am happy about my morning," Biancone said. "Both worked good and both are on their way."
Lion Heart , who also won the Hollywood Prevue Stakes (gr. III) in record time, would most likely use the April 3 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) after the one-mile San Rafael as a final prep for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). Pomeroy, who was second in the Saratoga Special (gr. II), will most likely prep for the Triple Crown out of town. He could make his first start of the year in the March 20 Gotham Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct or the Rebel Stakes (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park on the same day, Biancone said.
The Gotham is a one-mile event run over Aqueduct's inner track while the Rebel is a 1 1/16-mile main track test. Both events carry purses of $200,000.
"And there's an outside possibility if he's progressing better than expected he'll go in the San Felipe, which is only a week earlier."
The $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) is a 1 1/16-mile event on March 13.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu
- Swiss Lake Yodeler Solves Soviet Problem
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- No Jet Lag Can Make Amends in Sir Beaufort
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Cyber Secret Sets Turfway Mark in Stakes Win
- Elusive Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field