Undefeated Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies champion Halfbridled worked six furlongs on Santa Anita's fast main track Thursday morning in 1:14 2/5 under jockey Alex Solis as she prepared for her 2004 debut in the $250,000 Las Virgenes Stakes (gr. I) at one mile on Feb. 15. Trainer Richard Mandella clocked Halfbridled, worked in company with Rhythm King on Santa Anita's in 1:26 and change for seven furlongs. Rhythm King was clocked in 1:15 1/5.
"She just went beautiful," Mandella said of Halfbridled. "She went seven eighths in 26 and change. She went very slow the first half mile and then picked it up a little. Then she went a nice :23 and change the last quarter. She's on course but we've got to pray she doesn't get sick or something.
"We think we dodged the bullet there. She had a little coughing bout, but this (Las Virgenes) will be a test." Mandella said that Solis worked the filly "as a favor." Solis gave Mandella the "thumbs up" sign as he guided Halfbridled off the track.
Most Popular Stories
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Online Stallion Season Auction Set for Iowa
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Minimum Stakes Purse to Increase at Aqueduct
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension