Challenging Funny Cide will be Edmund Gann's Medaglia d'Oro, a multiple grade 1 winner for Eclipse Award-winning trainer Bobby Frankel. The 5-year-old son of El Prado has been training steadily in California for his first start since finishing second in the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) at Santa Anita last October. He will be ridden by Jerry Bailey, who just won a record seventh Eclipse Award. Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens will likely play a pair of aces in the Donn, saddling both Joseph Shields Jr.'s Puzzlement and Martin Schwartz's Bowman's Band. The two prepped for the Donn in the grade 3 Hal's Hope Handicap on Jan. 3, when Puzzlement beat his stablemate by a neck.
Others who might make the starting gate for the Donn are Richard Simon's The Judge Sez Who, third in the Jan. 24 Sunshine Millions Classic, and Mount Joy Stables' Predawn Raid, who won the Dec. 27 Fred Hooper Handicap (gr. III) at Calder.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Slideshow: Royal Delta