Southern Image, a three-length winner in Saturday's $1 million Barretts/CTBA Sunshine Millions Classic, has another $1 million race on his agenda, the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) on March 6, trainer Mike Machowsky said Sunday morning."That looks great right now," Machowsky said of the Big 'Cap, "but I'm going to be real light on him for just a week, freshen him up a little bit and go from there."Machowsky reported that Southern Image came out of the Sunshine Millions Classic in good shape.The 38-year-old trainer said the Met Mile (gr. I) in May also is on the Florida-bred 4-year-old's schedule. "That's the ultimate goal for the next few months," Machowsky said. "It's a good race and a perfect distance for him, I think, and a grade I. If he cooperates with us the Big 'Cap is definitely a possibility, too."Southern Image, a $300,000 son of Halo's Image, has won four of five career starts at distances from 6 ½ furlongs to 1 1/8 mile. The Santa Anita Handicap is contested at 1 ¼ miles."He shows us right now he can do about anything," Machowsky said. "Hopefully we haven't hit bottom with him yet."
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet