Four of the track's stakes events will see changes in either distance or purse size in 2004. Two stakes slated for the meet's closing weekend saw their purses climb by $25,000 to $100,000. The Sept. 4 Dade Park Turf Classic and the Sept. 6 Tri-State Handicap will each be run at 1 1/16 miles on turf. Both races were run at 1 1/8 miles in 2003.
The $100,000 added Ellis Park Breeders' Cup Handicap, to be contested on Aug. 14, will see its distance extended by a sixteenth of a mile to 6 1/2 furlongs.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Portion of Vinceremos' Earnings to Charity
- Riposte Heads Solid Hillsborough Field
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones