Also seeing an increase is the $75,000 Lafayette Stakes. The final stakes race on the calendar is typically run on Labor Day (Sept. 6) and is an open event. It has been increased $25,000 from its $50,000 level of 2003. Older horses receive their due as well in the 2004 Calendar. The Inaugural Handicap (April 3), John Henry Handicap (May 1), Evangeline Downs Sprint Championship (June 19) and Matron Handicap (Sept. 4) all were increased from $35,000 to $50,000 events.
Two Louisiana-bred events that made their debuts during the 2003 season will return in 2004. The $40,000 B. B."Sixty" Rayburn Stakes (May 15) for 3-year-olds and the $40,000 Frank A. "Buddy" Abadie Memorial Stakes (June 5) for 3-year-old fillies were both raised from the $35,000 level. The Tellike Handicap (May 29) received a $5,000 boost and will be run for $40,000. Evangeline Downs will open for live racing April 1 and race Thoroughbreds through Labor Day, Sept. 6. Racing will be held on a Thursday through Saturday format and also Mondays (except Mondays in August) with a 6:45 p.m. post.
Most Popular Stories
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win