Also seeing an increase is the $75,000 Lafayette Stakes. The final stakes race on the calendar is typically run on Labor Day (Sept. 6) and is an open event. It has been increased $25,000 from its $50,000 level of 2003. Older horses receive their due as well in the 2004 Calendar. The Inaugural Handicap (April 3), John Henry Handicap (May 1), Evangeline Downs Sprint Championship (June 19) and Matron Handicap (Sept. 4) all were increased from $35,000 to $50,000 events.
Two Louisiana-bred events that made their debuts during the 2003 season will return in 2004. The $40,000 B. B."Sixty" Rayburn Stakes (May 15) for 3-year-olds and the $40,000 Frank A. "Buddy" Abadie Memorial Stakes (June 5) for 3-year-old fillies were both raised from the $35,000 level. The Tellike Handicap (May 29) received a $5,000 boost and will be run for $40,000. Evangeline Downs will open for live racing April 1 and race Thoroughbreds through Labor Day, Sept. 6. Racing will be held on a Thursday through Saturday format and also Mondays (except Mondays in August) with a 6:45 p.m. post.
Most Popular Stories
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu
- Swiss Lake Yodeler Solves Soviet Problem
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- No Jet Lag Can Make Amends in Sir Beaufort
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Cyber Secret Sets Turfway Mark in Stakes Win
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Elusive Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field