Remsen (gr. II) and Nashua Stakes (gr. III) winner Read the Footnotes, progressing toward the $250,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 14, continues to post quick workouts for trainer Richard Violette. The 3-year-old son of Smoke Glacken worked a bullet :47 half-mile Friday morning at Palm Meadows Training Center and satisfied his trainer with the way he did it.
"It was great. He did it easily but he's still very fast," said Violette. "The Fountain of Youth is only four weeks away and I don't want to feel like I'm behind at this point."
The Klaravich Stables Inc. runner turned in one of the fastest performances by a juvenile last year with his Remsen victory at Aqueduct. His only loss though five starts came in the Champagne (gr. I) at Belmont in his first attempt at 1 1/16 miles. He subsequently proved he could get a distance in his next two races, including the Remsen at 1 1/8 miles.
"He's exactly where he needs to be," said Violette. "If we turn out to be good enough to get to the Derby, I would like to get three races into him and the Fountain of Youth, the Florida Derby and the either the Wood Memorial or the Blue Grass (all gr. I) would fit really nicely. He's already won around two turns and got a mile and an eighth so he's cooperating with the game plan."
Most Popular Stories
- KY-bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp