"Citgo Racing to the Kentucky Derby" will present 16-Derby preps, beginning with live coverage of the Feb. 14 Fountain of Youth (gr. I) and Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) from Gulfstream Park. The March 13 Florida Derby, April 3 Santa Anita Derby, and the April 10 Wood Memorial, all grade I, will also air live.
The Classic Division fixtures to air are the March 7 Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I), Feb. 7 Strub Stakes and Donn Handicap, and the April 3 Gulfstream Park Handicap, and San Bernardino Handicap. Races will be shown from 10 different venues in seven different states. The series culminates with a Triple Crown special, airing on April 24, just seven days before the 130th running of the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). ESPN kicks off its 2004 horseracing coverage with a special on the 33rd annual Eclipse Awards, Thoroughbred racing's version of the Oscars. The 2003 Eclipse Awards ceremony will be held on Jan. 26 at the Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa in Hollywood, Fla. The Eclipse Awards special will air on ESPN2 on Feb. 7 at 1:00 p.m. ET.The Eclipse Awards recognize the sport's top equine and human performers, and are highlighted by the announcement of the Horse of the Year.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes