Mambo Slew rallied from slightly off the pace and drew clear for a three-length victory in the $76,300 Blue Norther Stakes for 3-year-old fillies Wednesday at Santa Anita Park.
Ridden by Mike Smith at 120 pounds, Mambo Slew ran one mile on turf in 1:34.68. The betting favorite paid $5.60, $3 and $2.20. Patrick Biancone is the trainer for owner Frank Manganero.
Ticker Tape, the second betting choice at 2-1, came from last to finish second under Kent Desormeaux and returned $3.60 and $2.60.
Yingyingying, a maiden ridden by Patrick Valenzuela at 115 pounds, finished third and paid $3.60.
A Kentucky-bred by Kingmambo out of Slew Boyera, Mambo Slew has won three straight races, including the Miesque Stakes (gr. III) at Hollywood Park. The $45,780 winner's share increased her earnings to $134,130.
Mambo Slew raced inside in fourth place, some four lengths off the pace, as Shake Off led through fractions of :23.07, :47.18 and 1:11.12. She gathered momentum on the last turn, swung three-wide into the stretch, took the lead inside the eighth pole and quickly drew off.
Mambo Slew began her career with a fifth place finish in a maiden special weight at Saratoga last August. She's won three straight since coming west and is two-for-two on the Santa Anita turf course.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes