Jockey Patrick Valenzuela has given his rivals a huge head start in defense of his Santa Anita riding title.The 42-year-old Colorado native concludes 13 days serving accumulated suspension days on Sunday, when he resumes riding full time after being limited to designated races through the first eight days of this meet. He has spotted current leader Alex Solis 17 wins, but Solis begins a three-day suspension today.
"I've been riding designated races, working a lot of horses and doing a bit of gym exercises and that's about it," said Valenzuela, who won 94 races at last season's meet. "I think riding a thousand some-odd horses last year keeps me pretty fit. A week and a half is not going take you apart. I've been staying active. We give it 150 percent every day."
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online