Trainer Eoin Harty expects a solid effort from the Irish-bred mare Firth of Lorne in Saturday's $150,000 San Gorgonio Handicap (gr. IIT) for older fillies and mares at 1 1/8 miles on the turf. His main concern is competition from the potent Bobby Frankel barn, which expects to be represented by likely favorite Megahertz."I've had her for all three of her races so far in the U.S." Harty said of the 5-year-old daughter of Danehill. "Her last race was a good race and the distance will suit her."Firth of Lorne was third in the Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs in her most recent start, Nov. 22, and has a 3-1-2 record with earnings of $145,189 for owner Darley Stud. She worked five furlongs on the main track Sunday in 1:00 3/5, while Garden In The Rain went the same distance in 1:00 1/5 for Jeff Mullins.At Hollywood Park, Megahertz worked six furlongs on the main track in 1:14 3/5.Probable for the San Gorgonio: Firth of Lorne, David Flores; Garden In The Rain, Gary Stevens; Megahertz, Alex Solis; and Mere de Corail, Mike Smith. Richard Mandella said there's a "50-50" chance Spring Star would run. Another daughter of Danehill, Spring Star was third by a length in the Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) at about 6 ½ furlongs on the hillside turf course on Dec. 29.
Most Popular Stories
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014