Startac is the heavy morning line favorite for Saturday's $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Ten horses are entered for the 1 1/16-mile race that has been run at Bay Meadows since 1982, but was moved to Golden Gates Fields this year due to a change in race dates. Both San Francisco-area racetracks are owned by Magna Entertainment.
Startac, a Kentucky-bred colt by turf champion Theatrical, is one of three starters already nominated to the Triple Crown. The colt is the 7-5 favorite coming off a 4 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Turf Paradise Derby. Racing on dirt for the first time, Startac rallied from last in a field of 11 to win. The other Triple Crown nominees are Hoovergetthekeys, upset winner of the Golden Gate Derby (gr. III), and Unbridled Time, who won his first two starts but is coming into the El Camino Real off a seven-race losing streak.
The post positions, jockeys, and odds for the race are as follows:
1. Look of Eagles, Frank Alvarado, 8-1
2. Hoovergetthekeys, Ron Warren Jr., 9-2
3. Champagne Day, Adalberto Lopez, 7-2
4. a-Big Big Casino, Dennis Carr, 15-1
5. a-Dusty Dixie Road, Ken Tohill, 15-1
6. a-San Nicolas, Jason Lumpkins, 15-1
7. Mo Mon, Luis Jauregui, 12-1
8. Lil' Country, Kevin Radke, 20-1
9. Unbridled Time, Russell Baze, 6-1
10. Startac, Alex Solis, 7-5
a-coupled under trainer Jeff Bonde