"He's doing good," Mullins said. "Better than ever. He's been training very well and if all goes well I hope to have him ready for the Malibu. It's great to have him back in the barn."
Buddy Gil has posted three works since his nearly five month layoff, including a half-mile in :48 3/5 at Santa Anita on Nov. 20. The work might have been faster, Mullins said, if not for some trouble the Desperado Stables color-bearer encountered during the move.
"He was down in the last sixteenth and a horse came over on him, so he had to be steadied hard before finishing up," Mullins said. "He's fine. Things like that happen sometimes."
Buddy Gil won this year's Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), San Felipe Stakes (gr. III) and Baldwin Stakes (gr. IIIT). Overall the Kentucky-bred son of Eastern Echo and the For Really mare Really Rising has banked $729,455 from a career line of 10-5-1-1.The seven-furlong Malibu, restricted to 3-year-olds, carries a purse of $500,000 and is the first leg of the three-race Strub Stakes series for newly turned 4-year-olds. The series also includes the San Fernando Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) in early January and the Strub Stakes (gr. II) in early February.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail