Saturday's $150,000-added Mrs. Revere Stakes (gr. IIT) at Churchill Downs lost a major contender Saturday morning when trainer Elliott Walden decided to scratch WinStar Farm's Dyna Da Wyna from the turf test for 3-year-old fillies.
Walden scratched Dyna Da Wyna in favor of a run next week against accomplished older fillies and mares in the $150,000-added Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT). "There's no black and white answer to it," said Walden. "I struggled with it all week."
Walden said by waiting, he would likely get Pat Day to ride the winner of Keeneland's Valley View (gr. IIIT) in the Cardinal and receive a break at the weights. She was assigned 115 pounds against older fillies and mares in the 1 1/8-mile Cardinal. He also had concerns over how the daughter of Doc's Leader would handle a Matt Winn Turf Course left soggy for the Mrs. Revere from overnight rains.
"I didn't think she'd care for the soft turf," Walden said. "It might rain next week, but we know it's going to be soft today."
Dyna Da Wyna has a three-race winning streak that includes stakes victories in the Valley View and the DeBartolo Oaks at Louisiana Downs, but was still rated a 10-1 longshot in the deep and talented field for the Mrs. Revere. With the scratch of Dyna Da Wyna, Kelly Miller's Pattiano -- the lone filly listed as "also eligible" for the Mrs. Revere -- drew into the field of 12.
Most Popular Stories
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- Ramsey Farm 2013 - Ken Ramsey Interview
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk