From The Saratoga Special, reprinted with permissionTaming of the West:
We received this letter from Montana. Can you imagine? Racing has fans in the Big Sky."I have just read your piece on Beautiful Pleasure and I wanted to thank you. She has been one of my favorites since her 2-year-old year. I'm a long way from seeing such equine beauty in person but the wizardry of television and computers has allowed me to dream. Again, thank you for your thoughtful and beautifully written article."--Bill Allen, Missoula, Mt.Worth Repeating:"The Keeneland grandstand almost collapsed."--Trainer Lee McKinney, on watching Feeling So Pretty's shocker opening week"We'll roll the dice and see where they lie."--Mark Guidry, on riding the Travers "If this phone rings one more time, I'm going to throw it 16 feet."--Trainer Dominick Schettino Naming The Travers
We're taking a different approach to the Name of the Day. Here's what we would have dubbed the nine runners in the Travers. Not that there's anything wrong with the ones they have but here goes:
1. A P Valentine (A.P. Indy-Twenty Eight Carat). The Rock.
2. Volponi (Cryptoclearance-Prom Knight). Boutonniere.
3. Free Of Love (Meadow Flight-Love Spanish). Heading South.
4. Harrisand (Marchand de Sable-Lady Harrison). Paris Gent.
5. Scorpion (Seattle Slew-Petiteness). Minislew.
6. E Dubai (Mr. Prospector-Words of War). Charge And Retreat.
7. Point Given (Thunder Gulch-Turko's Turn). Lightning.
8. Dollar Bill (Peaks And Valleys-Saratoga Dame). Spa Tiffs, or Oh No Not Again, or Siro's Skirt.
9. Hadrian's Wall (Storm Cat-Catnip). Stray Cat.Weather
Saturday: Sunny. High near 79. Winds southeast 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday night: Clear. Low around 59. Calm winds.
Sunday (24 hours): Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 60s.
Monday (24 hours): Partly cloudy with scattered thunderstorms ending late.
Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s.
Tuesday (24 hours): Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 50s.By The Numbers
We can't count. Yesterday we said there we 10 more issues of The Special. We woke up and realized we're better at English than Math (marginally). Eight(maybe seven) to go. Then we're going to the Showboat Casino.Contact Sean Clancy via e-mail at email@example.com or telephone at 518-581-1947.