Tenpins returns to Keeneland Saturday in hopes of repeating his victory last year in the $150,000 Fayette Stakes (gr. III), the final feature of the fall meeting at the Lexington, Ky., track. The speedy son of Smart Strike – who until last week was being considered for the Breeders' Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge (gr. I) – has won the Cornhusker Breeders' Cup Handicap and the Iselin Breeders' Cup Handicap (both gr. III) this year for owner Joseph Vitello and trainer Don Winfree. Jockey Robby Albarado, who knows how to get the most from Tenpins, and has the call on Saturday.
Arthur B. Hancock, III and Gerald F. Healy's Quest will be gunning for Tenpins. Runner-up to Mineshaft in the Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I) in his latest trip to the post, the Kentucky home-bred son of Seeking the Gold showed good tactical speed in that race. He hails from the red-hot Nick Zito barn and jockey Shane Sellers figures to keep his colt in contention throughout.
S.A. Partnership's Country Be Gold ships in from Delaware where he captured the Kelso Handicap in his last race. The son of Summer Squall, who is trained by Reynaldo Nobles, has a big late kick and should be flying home under Roberto Alvarado, Jr.
$150,000 Fayette Stakes (gr. III), 3 & up, 1 1/8 mile
1. Quest (Shane Sellers), 119
2. Changeintheweather (Oliver Castillo,) 119
3. Seattle Fitz (Arg) (Calvin Borel), 119
4. Sonic West (Rafael Bejarano), 119
5. Tenpins (Robby Albarado), 121
6. Country Be Gold (Robert Alvarado, Jr.), 119
7. M B Sea (Craig Perret), 119
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses