Wertheimer Farm's homebred Halfbridled, one of the leading contenders for the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), breezed six furlongs in 1:16 3/5 at Santa Anita Saturday morning."I wanted her to go slow, just school in behind other horses and keep her controlled," said trainer Richard Mandella of the undefeated 2-year-old daughter of Unbridled -- Half Queen (by Deputy Minister).After breaking her maiden by 4 1/2 lengths at Del Mar, Halfbridled won the Del Mar Debutante (gr. I) by five lengths and the Oak Leaf by 4 1/2 lengths.
Oak Tree Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner Designed for Luck, getting ready for the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), worked five furlongs in :58 3/5.
"He's had three pretty hard races so we didn't need to do too much with him," trainer Vladimir Cerin said. "And (Designed For Luck) told us not to work him hard, so we didn't.
Brother and sister turf contenders Johar and Dessert worked seven furlongs in 1:25 2/5 in company. Mandella was happy with the team, working for the second time together.
"They went well and are doing great," Mandella said. "No complaints."
Most Popular Stories
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Chasing Landaluce
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points