Trainer Richard Mandella thinks he has a big chance with Pleasantly Perfect in Sunday's $500,000 Goodwood Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at 1 1/8 miles. in Sunday's $500,000 Goodwood Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at 1 1/8 miles.
The son of 1981 Kentucky Derby winner Pleasant Colony closed strongly to finish fourth in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) against Came Home, and besides being eased in his debut try, has never run a bad race.
"He's a big finisher," Mandella said. "He ran good in the Pacific Classic and if he runs good here, then we'll think about the Breeders' Cup."
Momentum, a tough-luck second in both the Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) and Pacific Classic this summer, drew high weight of 119 pounds and is expected to be the heavy favorite in the field of nine. Grey Memo, winner of the San Diego Handicap (gr. II) at Del Mar, and the Bobby Frankel-trained Euchre are also expected to attract attention. $500,000 Goodwood Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II), 1 1/8 miles, 3 & up
PP. Horse, Jockey, Wgt.
1. Reba's Gold, David Flores, 114
2. Grey Memo, Matt Garcia, 116
3. Tapatio, Goncalino Almeida, 112
4. Kela, Gary Stevens, 116
5. Momentum, Corey Nakatani, 119
6. Euchre, Patrick Valenzuela, 116
7. Like A Hero, Laffit Pincay Jr., 114
8. Truly A Judge, Jose Valdivia, 110
9. Pleasantly Perfect, Alex Solis, 114