"A lot of people thought that if he went to the Breeders' Cup he'd run in the Turf because he won the (11 furlong) Del Mar Handicap, but he's really better suited to the Mile," Dollase said. "The (Mile) will set up better for him. He'll get the pace he likes and really have something to run at.
"I discussed our options with (jockey) Alex Solis and he really thinks he can do well in the Mile as long as he has something to run at, which we think he will. Alex is going to ride him in the race."
In addition to his Del Mar Handicap victory, Irish Warrior placed in three other graded stakes, including the Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT) and Clement L. Hirsch Memorial Turf Championship Handicap (gr. IT). From 20 career starts, the Kentucky-bred has won six times, with six seconds and four thirds for earnings of $499,500 for owners Coleman, Dasaro and Thompson et al.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win