Rolly Polly, unbeaten in three turf starts at Santa Anita, will try to end 2002 on a high note when she goes to the post in the $150,000 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) on Tuesday.
A full field of 14 older fillies and mares, including two also-eligible entries, has been entered for the 6 ½-furlong event down Santa Anita's unique hillside turf course.
Rolly Polly, a 4-year-old Irish-bred filly and the 122-pound highweight, is trained by Bobby Frankel and will be ridden by Patrick Valenzuela. She drew the outside post.
Rolly Polly won the Sen. Ken Maddy Handicap over the Santa Anita grass course during the Oak Tree meet in October, and captured an allowance race and the Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT) here during the 2001-2002 meet.
Also in the Monrovia field is Adoration. Trainer David Hofmans scratched her from Saturday's La Brea Stakes (gr. I) on dirt in favor of this spot. Lil Sister Stich, winner of the Cal Cup Distaff Handicap here in November, is also a leading contender.$150,000 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT), fillies and mares, about 6 1/2 furlongs on turf
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight
1. Repository, Mike Smith. 114
2. Pina Colada, Goncalino Almeida, 115
3. Gabrielina Giof, Tyler Baze, 114
4. Company B, Kent Desormeaux, 113
5. Onslaught, David Flores, 115
6. Les Yeux Mauves, Joe Steiner, 116
7. Adoration, Alex Solis, 115
8. I'm the Business, Corey Nakatani, 116
9. Lil Sister Stich, Laffit Pincay Jr., 116
10. Miss Puzzle, Julie Krone, 113
11. Medalha Milagrosa, Jose Valdivia, 113
12. Rolly Polly, Valenzuela, 122
AE Nanogram, Victor Espinoza, 113
AE Southern House, Tyler Baze, 110