Easyfromthegitgo, a heart-breaking runner-up in March's Louisiana Derby (gr. II), is scheduled to make his first start at Fair Grounds since that defeat in Thursday's $75,000 Louisiana Handicap.
The Louisiana Handicap serves as a prep race for the $500,000 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) on March 2.
Owned by James Cassels and Bob Zollars and trained by Steve Asmussen, Easyfromthegitgo checks in as the 118-pound highweight in the eight-horse field going a 1 1/16 mile on the main track.
Easyfromthegitgo enters the handicap ranks following a productive 3-year-old season that included a win in the Iowa Derby and runner-up finishes in the Indiana Derby and the Oklahoma Derby (both gr. III). In the Louisiana Derby, he was beaten by a nose by Repent.
Donnie Meche gets the mount on Easyfromthegitgo, who breaks from the sixth post position.
One dangerous shipper could be Horrible Evening, winner of four of his last five races for trainer Niall O'Callaghan.
Robby Albarado gets a return call on Horrible Evening. $75,000 Louisiana Handicap, 4 & up, 1 1/6 mile
PP. Horse (Rider, Weight)
1. Intern (Willie Martinez, 110)
2. Connected (Larry Melancon, 113)
3. E Z Glory (Shane Sellers, 112)
4. Horrible Evening (Robby Albarado, 115)
5. City Fear (Eddie Martin Jr., 112)
6. Easyfromthegitgo (Donnie Meche, 118)
7. Ask the Lord (Lonnie Meche, 111)
8. Fighting Indians (Ray Sibille, 110)