Hall of Fame jockey Julie Krone became the first female jockey in Oak Tree history to ride five winners in a day Saturday. She won half of the day's 10 races.
Krone, 40, scored her biggest victory on 11-10 betting favorite Devious Boy in the $150,000 Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds. Her other triumphs came aboard Eyad ($10) in the sixth race, Annabelly ($6.60) in the seventh, Carla Rose ($4.80) in the ninth and Rosberg ($8.20) in the 10th. Krone received a large ovation upon entering the winner's circle after the victory aboard Rosberg."Five wins in one day, that's pretty cool anywhere, but this is definitely a very special day," Krone said.Krone, the only woman jockey to ever win a Triple Crown race, had a six-victory day at Monmouth Park in New Jersey in 1987. She retired from riding in 1998, but returned to the saddle last year and finished second to Pat Valenzuela at the recent Del Mar meeting, including a four-win day on Aug. 4.Krone is the first jockey to win five races at Oak Tree since Laffit Pincay Jr. won five races on California Cup day, Oct. 28, 2000. Valenzuela, Martin Pedroza, Darrel McHargue and Steve Valdez share the Oak Tree record of six wins.
Most Popular Stories
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Tattersalls Ends Year With Soaring Figures
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?