Michael Gill, currently the nation's leading owner, appears to have the field surrounded in the $200,000 Maryland Handicap (gr. III) as he has three horses among the seven entered in the six furlong sprint.
It is not known who will actually reach the starting gate for Gill, as jockey Jeremy Rose is named to ride all three. Highway Prospector is the only stakes winner of the three thanks to a 1 3/4-length score in the Artax Handicap at Gulfstream Park last time out. Pioneer Boy enters off a second-place finish by a neck in the Fire Plug Stakes at Pimlico April 12 and Tasty Caberneigh was second in a $65,000 allowance/optional claiming race at Gulfstream last time out on April 5.
Crossing Point returns to Maryland after shipping to Mountaineer Park and winning the $76,000 Panhandle Handicap by 5 1/2 lengths two weeks ago.
The field in post position order:
1. a-Tasty Caberneigh, Jeremy Rose, 112
2. Crossing Point, Ryan Fogelsonger, 116
3. Sassy Hound, Ramon Dominguez, 113
4. Clergy, no rider, 112;
5. a-Pioneer Boy, Jeremy Rose, 115;
6. The Deputy Is Home, Jorge Chavez, 113
7. a-Highway Prospector, Jeremy Rose, 115
8. Shah Jehan, Gary Stevens, 113