Del Mar Show will look to avenge a second-place finish in last year's CITGO Dixie Stakes (gr. IIT) against a talented field of turf runners set for this year's edition at Pimlico Race Course Saturday.
Del Mar Show was passed in deep stretch by Strut the Stage in last year's Dixie and lost by 2 1/2 lengths. He made four more starts after that race, including a Grade III win at Rockingham Park and a neck victory over Volponi in the Bernard Baruch Handicap (gr. IIT) at Saratoga. The 6-year-old son of Theatrical concluded the year with a disappointing seventh-place finish in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. I). He enters this year's Dixie off a sharp two-length allowance victory at Keeneland in his seasonal bow on April 19.
Also entered is Grade I winner Sarafan, who has not raced in North America since finishing fourth in the Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Santa Anita in November. After that start the six-year-old gelding by Lear Fan concluded the season with a second in the Japan Cup (Jpn-I) and a fourth-place finish in the Hong Kong Cup (HK-I).
The field in post position order:
1. Statement, Pat Day, 117
2. Sarafan, Gary Stevens, 117
3. Dr. Kashnikow, Robby Albarado, 117
4. Sardaukar, Jeremy Rose, 117
5. Strategic Partner, Richard Migliore, 117
6. Blue Steller, Pat Valenzuela, 117
7. Del Mar Show, Jerry Bailey, 117
8. Perfect Soul, Edgar Prado, 117
9. Loup Mosque, Jose Santos, 117
10. Dr. Brendler, Ramon Dominguez, 117