Pletcher Trio Head Matron
Updated: Sunday, September 14, 2003 2:19 PM
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 2:59 PM
Photo: Skip Dickstein
Todd Pletcher, sends out trio in Matron.
A field of eight 2-year-old fillies, including a trio from the Todd Pletcher barn, will contest the $200,000 Matron (gr. I) Sunday at Belmont Park over one mile.
James Scatuorchio's Lokoya is already proven over the Belmont strip, breaking her maiden at first asking in early July. She came back to run fourth in the Adirondack (gr. II) at Saratoga over sloppy going. "I don't think she cared for the off track," said Pletcher. "She was beaten by two good fillies and should improve with more distance."
Michael Tabor's Marylebone came up along the rail to break her maiden July 31. The other Pletcher, Sisti's Pride, also scored at Saratoga, and is the only Matron participant to go as far as seven furlongs. They will have to defeat Einar Robsham's Feline Story, who has won a pair of stakes--the Astoria at Belmont and the Sorority (gr. III) at Monmouth, for trainer Stanley Hough.
All runners carry 119 pounds. The field for the Matron, in post position order with trainers and jockeys:
1) Stand on Top, Terry Pompay (Cornelio Velasquez)
2) Charming Humor, Leroy Jolley (Aaron Gryder)
3) Feline Story, Stanley Hough (Javier Castellano)
4) Lokoya, Todd Pletcher (John Velazquez)
5) Marylebone, Todd Pletcher (Edgar Prado)
6) Funny Honey, John Terranova (Richard Migliore)
7) Sisti's Pride, Todd Pletcher (Jerry Bailey)
8) Eye Dazzler, Mark Hennig (Eibar Coa)
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!