Nick Zito, who already trains Kentucky Derby hopefuls Birdstone and Eurosilver, seeks to add to his riches Sunday when he saddles The Cliff's Edge in the $100,000 Iroquois (gr. III) at Churchill Downs. The one mile Iroquois has attracted 11 2-year-olds, and is a prep for the $200,000-added Kentucky Jockey Club (gr. II) Nove. 29.
After a maiden score at Saratoga, Robert La Penta's The Cliff's Edge finished a troubled third in the Kentucky Cup Juvenile at Turfway Park Sept. 13., but was placed second. "When they break their maiden first time out at Saratoga, they've got to be able to run," said Zito. "He acts like a horse with some talent, and hopefully he'll put it together on Sunday."
The field for the Iroquois, in post position order with jockeys and weights:
1) Five Card Monty (Jon Court, 117)
2) The Cliff's Edge (Shane Sellers, 117)
3) War Image (Dean Butler, 119)
4) Korbyn Gold (Corey Lanerie, 121)
5) Affirmlode (Calvin Borel, 117)
6) Wings On Springs (Rafael Bejarano, 115)
7) Pro Prado (John McKee, 117)
8) Grand Score (Pat Day, 117)
9) Mutachi (Larry Melancon, 117)
10) Texas Deputy (Cornelio Velasquez, 117)
11) Blushing Indian (Robby Albarado, 117)