Headed by San Diego Handicap (gr. II) winner Taste of Paradise, $1.7-million earner Grey Memo and the consistent sprinter Captain Squire, a field of seven is set in the Labor Day $250,000 Del Mar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at a mile on the main track Monday.
Taste of Paradise, owned by Keith Abrahams and Paul Bloom and trained by John Sadler, has been idle since the Aug. 3 San Diego, but has been working steadily toward this race, which has been Sadler's goal from the beginning. Victor Espinoza returns to ride.
Grey Memo is winless in nine starts since capturing the 2002 San Diego Handicap for trainer Warren Stute, but finished second, beaten three-quarters of a length, in this year's Godolphin Mile (UAE-II) in Dubai. Grey Memo won the Godolphin race in 2002.
Captain Squire has finished no worse than third in his last eight starts, including two victories. In his most recent start, the 4-year-old gelded son of Flying Chevron trained by Jeff Mullins finished second in Del Mar's Bing Crosby Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II), beaten by less than two lengths by the Midwest invader Beau's Town.
In the companion feature, Harris Farms' Super High, in her second race back from a leg fracture, will try to repeat her 2002 win in the $125,000 Solana Beach Handicap. She heads a field of eight fillies and mares goes to the post in the one-mile test for California-bred fillies and mares on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
Among those hoping to derail the defending champ are recent Del Mar winner Ardum Relaunch and dual stakes winner Summer Wind Dancer.
Super High, trained by Carla Gaines, will carry top weight of 120 pounds and will spot her foes from four to eight pounds.$250,000 Del Mar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II), 3 & up, 1 mile
PP. Horse, Wgt., Jockey
1. Seattle Shamus, 111, Julie Krone
2. Captain Squire, 116, Alex Solis
3. Reba's Gold, 116, David Flores
4. Taste of Paradise, 115, Victor Espinoza
5. Crafty C.T., 115, Mike Smith
6. Joey Franco, 116, Patrick Valenzuela
7. Grey Memo, 116, Kent Desormeaux$125,000 Solana Beach Handicap, fillies & mares 3 & up, 1 mile on turf
1. Super High, 120, Patrick Valenzuela
2. Ardum Relaunch, 112, Victor Espinoza
3. Continental Lu, 114, Mike Smith
4. Sunset Serenade, 116, Jose Valdivia, Jr.
5. Bella Volare, 112, Goncalino Almeida
6. Summer Wind Dancer, 113, Julie Krone
7. Apollo's Music, 113, Tyler Baze
8. Centerofattention, 114, Kent Desormeaux