In his first work since being scratched from the Travers (gr. I) due to illness, Empire Maker had the fastest time at the distance by 1.63 seconds. He worked alone under jockey Rudy Rodriguez."He was ready to work and I want to get him on schedule," trainer Bobby Frankel said.Empire Maker is scheduled to run next in the Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I) on Sept. 27 at Belmont Park. Frankel said he plans to work the Unbridled colt owned by Juddmonte Farms every six days until the race.At the draw for the Travers on Aug. 20, Frankel announced that he was also entering Peace Rules in the race because Empire Maker had been coughing. The next evening, Frankel said that Empire Maker would be scratched."The blood was never that bad on him," Frankel said. "He had a temperature, he was coughing and he had mucous. He missed three or four days going to the track. He didn't eat up for a few days."
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet