"I was impressed. He's a nice horse," Howard said Sunday. "He'll be good with older horses. He's a big, strong horse and he doesn't look like a 3-year-old. He even looks like an older horse. That horse is a pretty good horse."
The tentative schedule for Mineshaft includes the Sept. 6 Woodward (gr. I) and the Sept. 27 Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), both at Belmont Park, before the Breeders' Cup.
"It looks like it could be one of the best Classics in the last few years," Howard said. "Mineshaft is doing great. Everything's gone uncharacteristically smooth for him all season long. I just hope it goes like that the rest of the year."
Most Popular Stories
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit