Stormica, a 4-year-old Kentucky-bred filly, seeks her third consecutive victory in the United States in the $100,000-added Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Santa Anita downhill turf course at about 6 1/2 furlongs.
A $600,000 daughter of Storm Cat
trained by Gary Mandella, Stormica makes her stakes and turf debut in the U.S. after two impressive wins on the main track at Santa Anita.
Stormica's main rival in the Las Cienegas, which drew a field of 10 older fillies and mares, figures to be Dedication, a 5-year-old gray daughter of Highest Honor who won the Marshua River Handicap at Gulfstream Park on March 13 for trainer Christophe Clement. The French-bred mare has a 6-4-1 record from 17 starts with earnings of $340,395 for owner Mrs. Alec Head.
Also in the field is French group I winner Etoile Montante, who captured the Prix de la Foret (Fr-I) in October for owner Khalid Abdullah of Juddmonte and trainer Criquette Head-Maarek. Etoile Montante, who carries top weight of 121 pounds Sunday, finished 10th in the Matriarch at Hollywood Park Nov. 30.$100,000-added Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT), fillies & mares 4 & up, about 6 1/2 furlongs on turf
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight
1. Stormica, Mike Smith, 115
2. Etoile Montante, Javier Santiago, 121
3. Little Treasure, Jose Valdivia Jr., 117
4. Petite Histoire, Kent Desormeaux, 114
5. Notting Hill, Tyler Baze, 114
6. How Funny, Mick Ruis, 113
7. Dedication, Corey Nakatani, 118
8. Any For Love, Victor Espinoza, 115
9. Fudge Fatale, David Flores, 116
10. Polygreen, Alex Solis, 116